JOB TITLE: Bee Better Certified Program Specialist
LOCATION: Remote from employee's home office, in the mainland US (ideally within 1 hour of a major airport)
COMPENSATION: $24.50 / hr.
JOB START DATE: November, 2023
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 3, 2023
All applications must be submitted via our application website at: http://bit.ly/xerces-jobs
We are committed to creating a more diverse workforce that is welcoming to all employees and the communities we serve. Xerces is happy to provide accommodations for the job application process if needed. If you need an accommodation to complete the job application process, please email
Come join a growing team of conservation professionals at the Xerces Society who are dedicated to protecting some of the world's most important animals. We are seeking a skilled certification professional with strong project management and partner support skills.
At Xerces, we harness the knowledge of scientists and the enthusiasm of the public to implement conservation programs. We take action by helping farms and public agencies develop conservation plans for pollinators and beneficial insects, producing ground-breaking publications on insect conservation, training thousands of farmers and land managers to protect and manage habitat for beneficial insects, protecting endangered species and their habitat, and engaging the public to raise awareness about invertebrates found on farms, forests, prairies, deserts, streams, wetlands, towns and cities. Our methods focus on habitat conservation planning, education, scientific analysis, advocacy, and applied research to conserve invertebrates, such as bees, butterflies, mollusks, and fireflies.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
This position is responsible for supporting Bee Better Certified's (BBC) core certification operations and other private-sector (supply chain) pollinator conservation initiatives under the direction of the Bee Better Certified program lead.
Working across the United States and beyond, this position supports the advancement of Xerces pollinator conservation initiatives through: (a) managing relationships with new and existing certification bodies, including onboarding, training and quality control (QC), (b) standards oversight, review, and continued development of BBC agricultural production standards (APS), electric power standard (EPS) and the labelling and chain of custody licensing process, (c) responding to public and industry requests for information and assisting stakeholders with the BBC application process and coordinating farm plan reviews and (d) providing technical and logistical support in the implementation of existing federal, state and private sector grants, (e) client relationship support with private sector partners to build and maintain joint pollinator conservation initiatives, (f) supporting Xerces' Bee Better and private sector partnership projects with meeting coordination, project logistics, impact reporting, and process tracking.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Review Bee Better applications for Certification Bodies as part of their application review process.
· Build and maintain positive relationships with Certification Bodies, including approval, onboarding, reporting and review/Quality Control.
· Coordinate Inspector and Auditor trainings.
· Coordinate production and labelling standards review process.
· Administer the Bee Better document center, including document formatting, publication, and language translation (through approved translation service contractors).
· Facilitate the development and administration of international standards.
· Coordinate BBC labelling and chain of custody licensing process.
· Help track BBC/food industry data and assist with reporting both external (e.g. when needed for grant reporting), and internal.
· Respond to informational requests from existing and prospective BBC and private-sector- partners.
· Provide support to BBC Coordinator and regionally-based staff who are involved in sustainable sourcing initiatives and BBC promotion and certification activities.
· Coordinate scheduling and develop agenda for BBC Advisory and internal project committee meetings.
· Develop social media content, marketing and PR content as needed.
· Assistance with contract development as needed.
STATUS & SCHEDULE: Full-Time, hourly non-exempt position, scheduled to work ~ 40 hours/week. Schedule may be flexible and the opportunity for partial or full-time remote work location can be made, depending on job-specific requirements.
BENEFITS: This position includes a generous benefits package including; twelve paid holidays, paid time off accrued at a rate of 1.73 hours for every 30 hours of pay (15 days per year for a 40 hour/week schedule), medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug coverage, the option to participate in a pre-tax flexible spending account for medical and dependent care expenses, short-term disability insurance where not provided under state law, long-term disability insurance, participation in a 401k retirement program with employer contribution match upon meeting eligibility requirements, and a flexible work environment.
TERMS: The Xerces Society is an at-will employer. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
MORE INFORMATION: For more information on the Xerces Society and our programs, please see our website: www.xerces.org
All applications must be submitted via our application website at: http://bit.ly/xerces-jobs
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The Xerces Society is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer including disability and veterans. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
PRIORITY REFERRAL OF PROTECTED VETERANS
We request priority referral of protected veterans for all openings with our organization. In order to be considered for employment, all applicants for employment with Xerces Society, apply through our Job Board. When referring or being referred as a candidate, including protected veterans, please refer them to this applicant site; http://bit.ly/xerces-jobs.
Xerces Society Inc
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE:
· Some background knowledge of farm certification programs (e.g. organic certification, GAP, etc.) ideally including some level of prior work with certification issues.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills, and be capable of organizing meetings and effectively presenting information to a wide variety of professional clients and stakeholders.
· Ability and willingness to work with diverse teams and constituents in a respectful, equitable, and inclusive fashion.
· Excellent organizational skills and ability to develop work plans and work independently on assigned tasks.
· Working knowledge of common software applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint). The use of Google Suite and geospatial data management is required daily.
· Strong interpersonal skills and experience coordinating with members of the public, private companies, and/or private landowners.
· Prior background in farming, the food industry, or sustainability initiatives, or consumer/industry certifications
· Working with farmers and/or other landowners related to on conservation efforts and habitat projects.
· An understanding of pollination ecology and the role of native pollinators (especially bees) in agroecosystems.
· Native plant identification skills, weed identification skills, and knowledge of most common bee & other pollinator groups.
· Experience or familiarity with habitat enhancement/restoration/native planting projects; experience with these projects in an agricultural setting is a plus.
· Knowledge of the food and agricultural industries.
· Experience with multi-stakeholder project management.
· Commitment to conservation, and/or interest in the conservation of insects, pollination, wildlife, or other natural resources.
· Spanish language proficiency.
· Bachelor's Degree in a related field and/or equivalent education and experience.
· Prior work experience with program coordination, and/or project management; 5+ yrs preferred.
· Valid driver's license in the United States and a motor vehicle records check and clean driving record allowing employee to be insured under Xerces corporate liability insurance.
Be able to perform the following with reasonable breaks and/or reasonable accommodations:
· Operate a computer and other office productivity machinery for periods of 1-8 hours.
· Able to move and transport supplies, materials, equipment weighing up to 30 lbs.
· Traverse across agricultural roads and fields, unpaved roads and walkways, and unimproved trails for periods of 1-8 hours.
· Occasionally drive an automobile for periods of 1- 8 hours in support of events.
· Travel overnight when necessary for project assessments, implementation or planning.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/4DZd4lhYyyGrZIPO1IWyK5